Liquid manure, infusions, maceration and other herbal decoctions are the delight of the garden. They are also highly valued by the gardener who finds in these homemade preparations ecological, economical and convenient natural solutions for the treatment of his green spaces. In the vegetable garden or in an ornamental garden, these mixtures work excellently. But which ones are preferred and for what use? Grandma tells you more about slurry, these natural remedies for all garden ailments!
The virtues of plant fertilizer
First of all, you should know that these preparations often have very different functions. Therefore, among the many powers assigned to them, it is necessary to know how to make a choice! The preparation can be:
–Insecticide : it then fights pests and parasites of the garden
–Anti-fungal or fungicide against plant fungi
–Insect repellent and repellent to easily scare away insects and vermin
–Fertilization to provide minerals and nutrients needed to stimulate plant growth (in short, a natural growth promoter)
-Or stimulating to improve the natural defenses of plants. This allows them to develop resistance to the diseases and pests that plague it.
Make way for the best liquid fertilizer for the garden!
1) The most famous of the plant fertilizers: nettle fertilizer
Nettle is an ally for health and our beauty, but it is also (and above all) the garden’s best friend! Used neat, it makes an excellent fertilizer. Diluted to 10 or 20%, on the other hand, it has a repellent effect and can fertilize the leaves. And even if the smell is foul, nettle manure multiplies the good points.
- Unrivaled repellent against mites, aphids and larvae of voracious apple and pear carpocapses
- Effective stimulant against downy mildew and powdery mildew
- Stimulates plant growth, both above-ground parts and roots. It also benefits the quality of the soil!
- Tomatoes love this nitrogen-rich fertilizer that strengthens them
- Nettle manure can also be used as a compost activator
2) Comfrey slurry one of the most popular slurry
It is not just any perennial with beautiful purple flowers. Indeed, its composition rich in boron as well as in potash makes the happiness of the fruits and vegetables grown in the garden.
- Stimulates and fertilizes fruit plants, vegetable plants, but also fruit trees
- Activates compost
- Whitefly and Aphid Prevention
3) The best of slurry against fungal diseases: that of horsetail
Did you think horsetail or rat tail was a mess in the yard? Yet this pest, feared by many gardeners, is the sworn enemy of mold. To do this, it must be diluted to 5% and preferably sprayed on your plants in the morning.
- Fights the spread of plant diseases, especially fungal diseases: powdery mildew, powdery mildew, rust, scab, peach leaf curl, etc.
- Preventive control of rust, blisters, moniliosis and scabies
- Repellent ability against mites and leek worm
4) How to forget the bracken manure?
This bracken or male fern fertilizer deserves to be included in this list for its infamous repellent properties. On the other hand, do not forget to dilute it to 10% before use.
- Repellent and insecticide against snails, grasshoppers and aphids (especially woolly aphids from orchard fruit trees)
- Prevention against wireworm larvae that eat potato tubers and destroy their plantations. Controlling wireworms requires two applications to the ground before planting the potatoes.
5) Tansy to save tomatoes and potatoes
Whether against fungal diseases or in the fight against pests in the garden, tansy is at play. 300 g of plants, 10 l of water and three days later you can dilute your maceration to 5% for a foliar spray (on the leaves).
- Effective preventive control of rust on tomato plants
- Prevention also against potato blight
- Repellent effect on aphids, maggots and moths
6) Elder manure, one of the classics of manure appreciated in the garden
Elderberry liquid fertilizer is prepared with leaves of all varieties. If it’s appreciated, it’s mainly because it fights off a lot of unwanted that other slurry won’t be able to dislodge! Ideally, the dilution should be 10% for a perfect dosage.
- Repels both rodents and moles
- Prevention against aphids, flea beetles and thrips
- Stimulates plants
7) And finally the dandelion fertilizer to close this best fertilizer list
Dandelion manure is a very effective natural fertilizer. In the vegetable garden it brings iron, potassium, copper, salicylic acid, ethyne and sulfur.
- Prevents fungal diseases
- Stimulates blooming flowers
- Stimulates the growth of vegetables and fruits in the garden, especially tomatoes and cucurbits. Squash and zucchini love it.
How do you prepare a vegetable fertilizer?
Unless otherwise stated in the recipe, this fermented extract is made with the maceration of 1 kg of fresh plants for 10 l of rainwater. If you go for it, forget about the metal container that would oxidize. Instead, use plastic or wood and a wooden stick to mix the mixture and promote the fermentation process;. Once there are no more bubbles, the slurry is usually ready to be filtered through a sieve and transferred to an opaque container. Usually it is diluted between 5, 10 or 20%. Then a sprayer applies it to the foliage (for an anti-pest treatment) or at the base of the plants to stimulate them.
Plant purines, decoctions, infusions… It’s not the same!
Sometimes we tend to confuse these plant extracts! Indeed, the basic idea is always the same: vegetable preparations inspired by organic farming to treat the garden and the needs of its crops. However, they are not prepared in the same way, which makes all the difference.
- L’infusion is made as an herbal tea in hot water.
- Maceration is prepared with cold water in which the leaves or flowers are soaked for at least 24 hours.
- On the contrary, the decoction is a bit of a mix of both. We start with soaking in cold water, followed by bringing to a boil.
- Finally stay the manure which is the result of fermentation, often leaving behind an unpleasant odor. In fact, its most valuable advantage is that it saves unlike the others that cannot be saved. On the other hand, you have to be patient and diligent, because its preparation takes several weeks and you should not forget to mix it from time to time.